I can’t believe I’m finally here in Paris. It has been 5 year long dream of mine since I’ve started street style, and 2018 was the year I must go experience what everyone has been telling me about: the fashion, the chaos and how chic the French people truly are. The French did not disappoint, and they have been nothing but patient, kind and courteous. Today was my first day on the field and boy it was messy, super tight and you have to be lighting fast to get a good shot outside the shows.
Thanks to NIKON Australia, I have the new NIKON Mirrorless Z7 to play with and I tell you, putting the camera on “Auto” mode has been the biggest life saver. I’m a strong manual shooter but in harsh and inconsistent lighting conditions and spontaneous moments it is simply better to remove my pride for sharp, accurate and winning shots. This means, less time required for adjusting colours in post.
Here are my favourite highlights taken from the NIKON Mirrorless Z7 camera using the NIKKOR 58mm lens, edited in Lightroom. Enjoy x
It took me many years to embrace my Chinese heritage because it was that association: “Crazy Rich Asians” I stood against so much. I knew I could have anything growing up but my parents have firmly taught me, “don’t expect me to give you anything on a silver platter, you must work hard to earn it”. These wise words have played a huge relevance in my life to get to where I am today. I still got a lot to learn and do but today, I’m proud to be an Australian Born Chinese and I thank Maria Grazia Chiuri, the Creative Director of DIOR for celebrating and creating a voice for women like me to embrace my heritage and culture.
I wear DIOR from the AW18 Youthquake collection.
Photos by Jay Wilde in collaboration with DIOR, at Melbourne’s Collin Street Boutique.
- Try to elongate your neck for maximum extension
- Always pose with tension in your body completely from head to toe
- Mix it up with innovative poses. Don’t do the same pose over and over again. Make slight changes to the way your hand, body and legs are posed
- Show up to a photo shoot with clean shaven, clean face, and clean hair.
- Be aware of where the light source is set up. Always face towards the light source, not away from it
- Create intensity for the camera through your eyes. As Tyra Banks describes it…. Smize (smile with your eyes)!
- Give a lot of personality in each shot
- If it helps, ask to play your favorite music playing when you do a shoot! The beat will kick your poses up 10 notches!
- Practice practice practice in front of the mirror to work out what angles look best.
Model // CASSIDY WESTON represented by FRM MODELLING AGENCY
Stylist // JESS DEMPSEY
Hair and Makeup // Aimmey Pham
Assistant // ZOLI DINH
Editing // STEPHANIE BOLGER
Shirt and Denim // Super Dry Official